2005 XR6 Question

Can anyone tell me what that melted line and fitting is in the picture?
    Story: I was running to a spot, no more than 40 miles an hour and my 150 xr6 started sounding louder than normal ( they are one loud motor stock ) it had a slight tapping sound to it. I slowed down to fish a spot right before weigh-in and when I got to about 10mph it sputtered and died and took a little water over the back. There was smoke coming out of one of the pee holes and it smelled like burning plastic. I pulled the cowling to make sure there wasn't a fire. I could have swore that the motor was blown the way it died with the noise. Got home pulled all six spark plugs and there is no piston to plug contact but haven't used a borescope yet.
    Starting to think that the extra noise was that line that came apart which caused the engine to die, hoping anyway. That hose goes to all the carbs.
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    enrichment valve for cold start warm up helps engine stay running after cool down , check compression on it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply Joe. I will YouTube compression test and give it a go. Is there anything I need to disconnect so the engine won't get fuel while I'm doing the test? I come from the car side of mechanics, currently working on Cummins Buses.

4. Member
    warm it up ,hot batt, all plugs out , pull kill switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I haven't ran it since the motor scare. Floated it on the trailer. I will turn it over by hand first and use my borescope. If it starts up and runs with that line still disconnected then I will feel like I didn't break anything inside but still go through with the compression test I guess.
    Thank you.

6. Member
    Also sounds like your exhaust tuner may have come loose, drop lower unit and look up in midsection.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    I think she's a goner. Would have been more impressive at Full Throttle but I was only going 30 slowing down.20230508_103655.jpg20230508_103655.jpg

8. Member
    yea WORM its time for surgery , what number cyl is it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yea WORM its time for surgery , what number cyl is it
    More than 1. Wasn't really keeping track

10. Member
    now what ya gonna do ??

11. Member
    I looked up a powerhead on Mercury site and went to the local dealer and it says NLA no longer available. I could look for a used xr6 and do a swap. Or the easiest and more most expensive route, 175 Pro Xs 4S. Probably should get the 175, I've always wanted one. More so the 2 stroke but the reliable carb motor lived too long :)

12. Member
    you work on CUMMINS engines ,,,, fix it , WORM there are thousands of non mechanical people out there that have successfully repaired that engine , yea you might need some help , but i know where to get it

13. Member
    Thanks for the motivation, I love the grunt of the carbureted xr6. One thing to consider is the state I live in is blue as heck and before I know it it will be illegal to even use it like California. Hmm

14. Member
    change is coming ,,,,, i hope

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    change is coming ,,,,, i hope
    God JOE I sure hope so !
    2003 Triton TR186
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb
    Power Pole 8' Pro Series II Black
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain