Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your last boat, what and why

Hello everyone

I am 56 and looking for a new boat, I have had two Nitro's in the past and have had great luck with them. This next one should last me the rest of my life, so I'm looking at the best or what I consider the best.

I have always wanted a Skeeter FXR21 but they only come with the Helix, I have had Hummingbirds in the past and liked them but I was thinking about going with the Lowrance, so started looking at the Ranger Z521R and also the Nitro Z21 because of my past luck with them.

I have not used the Lowrance Active Target but it looks good, I will be fishing Lake Norman and they have a lot of docks I thought this may be nice to have when fishing docks.
    I know this is one of the best hard decision I've ever had and I am blessed, so I am asking for your advice... What would you get and why?

Thanks for reading... Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and happy New Year

Mark

BassCat Puma STS with a 250 Suzuki SS HANDS DOWN! Mic drop and walk away winner! Don't bother looking any further you'll be wasting your time

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    I’ve fished 5 years as a Coangler. Been in them all. 75-80 different boats in all conditions.

Phoenix

Prepare for responses telling you to choose whatever boat the responder owns.

Then go get the one YOU like. The Skeeter is really nice…if you’ve always wanted one. Learning the Helix wouldn’t be be a big deal and you can always add a live scope.

5. Member
    If it has to be a bass boat. Phoenix 920 or 21 elite.

Het the one that makes your ears wiggle when you sit in it.........

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Prepare for responses telling you to choose whatever boat the responder owns.

Then go get the one YOU like. The Skeeter is really nice…if you’ve always wanted one. Learning the Helix wouldn’t be be a big deal and you can always add a live scope.
    This^^^ Since it's your last boat go look and ride as many as you can and buy what you like and if electronics really matter than order new with no electronics and add them after you buy it.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

8. Member
    Are you sure you can't order a Skeeter without electronics and your dealer can add what you want? I saw one come in with Garmin loaded and the dealer told me it was special ordered that way. I wouldn't let electronics dictate my boat selection if a switch can be made.

9. Member
    i dont think i would let the electronics dictate my dicision of which boat i would buy, you can put any brand on them that you want. pick the boat that fits you first

10. Member
    There are lots of good boats out there right now. As others have stated, go look and crawl around as many as you can. Everyones opinion is a little different.

I have had several of the major brands in recent years and am currently in a Phoenix. Phoenix fits the bill for me and is a great all around boat.

good luck!

Without a doubt, if I were buying a new glass rig it would be a Vexus VX21. I’ve owned two 20’ Rangers and fished out of every brand of boat in the market when fishing BFL as a co-angler. Nothing compares to the VX21, and it ain’t even close. I fished out of one for 10 days last spring in Santee. Best riding and handling boat I’ve ever ridden in.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    I wanted and got my dream boat last year. I looked at a few different ones and ended up with the one I wanted. As stated above electronics and trollers can be changed. I agree you are going to hear a lot of boats are the best, and frankly most of them are really great. Check out a lot of boats and get YOUR dream boat, not someone else’s. My best advice is be patient and don’t settle if it’s going to be your last boat.

13. Member
    I will be getting mine in about 7 weeks. Sold my 2018 Bass Cat PII last week. I am anxiously awaiting my new Bass Caracal. It will most likely be my last one.
    Brad Krone

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    BassCat Puma STS with a 250 Suzuki SS HANDS DOWN! Mic drop and walk away winner! Don't bother looking any further you'll be wasting your time
    I'm guessing you are wanting to purchase Chad Pipkens boat when he's done with the 2023 season.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

15. Member
    Bought my last boat at 58.Im 67 now and keeping it.Had a Ranger but my Legend rides way better.If i was looking new .Basscat,Pnoenix and Vexus is what I would look at.

16. Member
    Can't you get the Skeeter without graphs installed if you don't want the hummingbirds?

17. Member
    As others have said, most of the responses you get will be from those pimping their own brand which is fine but I'll say all brands being built today are good. For me, what I will look for in a last boat will be purchasing from a manufacturer that has a long history and is on stable footing so when I need them, they will be there. Alot of new boat companies out there now that haven't weathered a 2008-2010 event so who knows how long they will be around. The ones who can survive those types of downturns and still build quality products will be on my short list. Have fun shopping
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    You have already answered the question. Buy the Skeeter or you will always second guess your purchase. “I have always wanted” is a great way to decide.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasCobaltKen View Post
    You have already answered the question. Buy the Skeeter or you will always second guess your purchase. “I have always wanted” is a great way to decide.
    I agree! Get what YOU always wanted. I can't imagine you can't get it with the electronics you want, or even without them so that you can add your own. Those Skeeters are nice! if I were to get rid of my Ranger, I'd get a Skeeter. At the risk of ruffling a few feathers, I'm not impressed with Phoenix boats. They are fast, no question, but at what expense? I think they go a little light in the construction of the boats.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

20. BBC SPONSOR
    I've been in quite a few boats either fishing with someone or owned. The Phoenix 721 I just bought back in march is by far my favorite so far. I'm also a Lowrance fan. I've been using their products for a long time.

The boat gets on plane fast, is faster than I need and just overall runs excellent and dry. It ran extremely well on St Clair earlier in the year.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast