Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shift actuator sensor

Delete
    Last edited by Ramos27; 05-29-2024 at 11:27 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very likely shift actuator is failing, unless there is a a sensor wire shorted to ground for the actuator. You'll want to get this addressed/replaced before operating the engine again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The actuator was replaced under that bulletin in April of 2019 for the previous owner. That closes the campaign for this serial number.

Since you're no longer under Warranty or Product Protection, it would be your responsibility.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either can cause this.

Please get this addressed before running it again- it is a potential SAFETY hazard to you, your boat, and those around you.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're not supposed to attempt shifting unless the engine is RUNNING. Doing so can cause severe damage to shifting linkages and components.

The PCM will normally REFUSE to shift to FWD gear unless there is an RPM signal.

Normally you turn the DRIVESHAFT (clockwise ONLY), not the propeller. Very important the driveshaft not be spun counterclockwise or it can fold impeller blades backwards, resulting in problems or premature failure of the impeller.

6. Member
    Don’s post above, as is so often the case with his posts, reminds me why I do not choose to attempt home repairs on my engine. Despite a long and involved personal history with outboard repair and maintenance, when repairs are required I ask myself “what could go wrong, and how expensive could it be if something does go wrong?” I’ve learned a lot from ace outboard technicians over the years, the most important being that there are still many things I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    Don’s post above, as is so often the case with his posts, reminds me why I do not choose to attempt home repairs on my engine. Despite a long and involved personal history with outboard repair and maintenance, when repairs are required I ask myself “what could go wrong, and how expensive could it be if something does go wrong?” I’ve learned a lot from ace outboard technicians over the years, the most important being that there are still many things I do not know.
    This is a major step to becoming a good tech, too many never reach this point.
    Thank You Leon Pugh