Salt Lake City Trip

Will be heading out west to the Salt Lake City area in early October. Wife and I got a rental unit in Park City. Anything that is a must see or do in the area? It will be our first trip out to the Rocky Mountains.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

2. Member
    Doesn’t the guy on Bitchn rides have his place there. Might check that out

3. Member
    That’s shoulder season and many of the mountain/tourism businesses shut down from early/mid October to Thanksgiving. The good news is you should be about the peak of the Aspen’s changing. My advice is to rent a car and do day drives.

Well, if you want some great trout fishing, you will be within 20 minutes of the Provo Riverwalk.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 09-16-2024 at 06:22 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

The best places to see are in Southern Utah.
    Having said that Park City is nice. The LDS temple grounds in Salt lake are worth a walk around. The City Creek mall is something to see. The creek inside the mall is stocked with trout.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s with Blue tooth for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger, Minn Kota Quest TM.

6. Member
    The Wasatch are cool mountains. I did some snowshoeing on my two spring trips there and enjoyed it quite a bit. I’m sure there are hiking trails available at that time. Antelope Island was kind of neat to see on the Great Salt Lake. Never did much food stuff when I was there but I’d sure go for a Crown Burger (pastrami on a burger, weird but good and fry sauce available in bulk).

7. Member
    I never found anything interesting in salt lake… been several times for work… downtown is very dirty, biggest homeless camps I’ve ever seen minus Oakland, Ca.. there’s a good scenic ride you can take up the closest mountain with some switchbacks and lookouts but I can’t remember the name..

i hope you find something cool!!

not really any attraction to go see but I think it’s pretty cool to see that rock mining company off to the side of the interstate. They’re literally chipping a mountain away… (it’s a lil north of downtown where it’s more industrial) We don’t have sights like that down here..

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    For a beautiful day drive take 248 out of PC to Kamas and then 150 out of Kamas all the way up to Evanston Wyo. It is an awesome drive through the Uinta/Wasatch National Forest. Ususally lots of wildlife etc.. Lots of places to pull in and explore the mountains.. Go to the state park in Evanston and see the white Bison.. From Evanston you can take I80 back down through the canyon to Coalville and back to Park City..
    Last edited by lakefolk; 09-15-2024 at 01:31 PM.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

9. Member
    All good posts above. Park City - fly fishing 15-20 minutes away as noted above Provo River or in mountain lakes past Kamas, mountain biking and paved trails, main street restaurants and shops, and less traffic in October. If you want to eat in more "reasonably" priced restaurants (still expensive) where locals eat I recommend Sammy's Bistro, Windy Ridge Cafe and Deli, Hearth and Hill, or Fuego Bistro. I am sure there are others but we take the grandkids to one of these four every week. Have not found any great BBQ yet.

Take a drive to Zion NP or Arches NP. Antelope island had alot of Buffalo. Lots of trout fishing...green and provo rivers and up in Logan.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

11. Member
    SLC airport is new - but if you come into the B terminal plan on having about a 1.5 mile walk to baggage claim and exit the terminal area, just a weird setup. Good chance you could see some snow in October, not uncommon for the first measurable amount of snow to arrive by the first part of October in the higher elevations (at least it did when I was elk hunting). Lots of good scenery, if you got time as others mentioned lots to be seen in southern Utah as well, just a bit of a haul to get there from park city. Not a SLC fan myself try not to spend anytime down there unless I absolutely have to.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Doesn’t the guy on Bitchn rides have his place there. Might check that out
    Yes, but you must schedule tour in advance as Dave Kindig is very popular.

I also toured the Toyota Land Cruiser Museum and enjoyed it.

Other interest include the giant Kennecot Copper mine, Browning Firearms Museum, and an Air Force Museum with all kinds of aircraft .

There are many interesting things to do in Salt Lake City and the surrounding area.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

13. Member
    The weather will be hit and miss. Warm vs. possible snow. Early October is hunting season so many mountain drives will have many hunting camps but you could get snowed on in the higher elevation scenic drives. I used to live there and opening weekend (early Oct.) of elk season many years ago we got four feet of snow at our elk camp and it took us several days to dig out. But it could also be 70 degrees.

The city center in Salt Lake with its visitor center near the Salt Lake temple makes an interesting half to full day tour. Just south of SLC off I-15 is Thanks Giving Point with dinosaur exhibits and a cool butterfly biosphere-like building.

Maybe something from this list might interest you:
    https://theplanetd.com/best-things-t...ake-city-utah/

14. Member
    Park city is a little touristy, but it’s a nice stop. The ride up there is beautiful. I really enjoyed seeing all the antelope and buffalo on Antelope Island. It’s worth the drive there and doesn’t cost anything. Really beautiful scenery out there.