3 Bank Charger Connected to TM Batteries And Starting Battery

Do you guys run one set of leads of a 3 bank charger to the starting battery and the other 2 to the TM batteries in a 24 volt system? I'm having an interference issue when running my MG Digital tour while using structure scan. A guy in the Lowrance forum suggested the leads connected to the starting battery which powers my HDS 9 Gen 2 could be linking the TM batteries to the starting battery and causing the interference. The charger is a BPS XPS 3x5 amp charger.
    Chuck

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    That's the normal way to run, and it generally doesn't cause a problem. A few people do have issues though. Easy to check by disconnecting the charger from the cranking battery before you hit the water.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    That's the normal way to run, and it generally doesn't cause a problem. A few people do have issues though. Easy to check by disconnecting the charger from the cranking battery before you hit the water.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    How can the charger cause interference if it's not plugged in? Have seen this same question before.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    How can the charger cause interference if it's not plugged in? Have seen this same question before.
    Seems to make a connection between the cranking battery and TM batteries. Had a member who verified the problem was his NOCO charger.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    The charger could be internally connecting to the other sets of batteries, which could cause interference.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, would have never thought that but it makes sense since that everything it connected to that one object, the charger.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Although the multiple charger outlets are "isolated" the isolation is DC and not necessarily AC. There will be AC coupling, especially on the winding layers in the transformer that could couple AC voltage spikes from one outlet to another.

9. Member
    I have confirmed my same charger is causing interference, but only has it been bad recently. maybe i just didn't notice it before, but really bad lately.
    2016 Tracker pro team 175txw 75hp 4 stroke
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

10. Member
    I went from having interference on SI & DI when the trolling motor would run to beautiful crystal clear images after changing to a dedicated electronics battery and single bank charger for it.
    Prior to the change my graphs were powered from the cranking battery and trolling motor uses 2 12V batteries, all 3 of which share a 3 bank charger.

Disconnecting the battery charger fuses to each battery and running a ground wire between cranking & TM batteries only helped a little.

Ann-marie nailed it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    Although the multiple charger outlets are "isolated" the isolation is DC and not necessarily AC. There will be AC coupling, especially on the winding layers in the transformer that could couple AC voltage spikes from one outlet to another.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanhick View Post
    Do you guys run one set of leads of a 3 bank charger to the starting battery and the other 2 to the TM batteries in a 24 volt system? I'm having an interference issue when running my MG Digital tour while using structure scan. A guy in the Lowrance forum suggested the leads connected to the starting battery which powers my HDS 9 Gen 2 could be linking the TM batteries to the starting battery and causing the interference. The charger is a BPS XPS 3x5 amp charger.
    Chuck
    after 2 years 2016 model my xps3X5 started causing interference from my ulterra. I made sure that the charger bank that specifies to be connected to the cranking was wired correctly........
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I went from having interference on SI & DI when the trolling motor would run to beautiful crystal clear images after changing to a dedicated electronics battery and single bank charger for it.
    Prior to the change my graphs were powered from the cranking battery and trolling motor uses 2 12V batteries, all 3 of which share a 3 bank charger.

Disconnecting the battery charger fuses to each battery and running a ground wire between cranking & TM batteries only helped a little.

Ann-marie nailed it:
    i am going to try one of the new newer minkotta precision digital, supposedly they have a different internal design , hopefully it won't cause rfi with all 3 banks connected, supposedly the xps 3X5 can divert charge current to any battery this feature might subject it to rfi, but just weird I didn't have the first 2 years.