Ficht Fuel Issue

2001 Evinrude FICHT 225 (fhsif)
    Engine will crank and idle fine. Once under a load trying to plane out it runs out of power. When it will plane out and I give it some gas it is like it runs out of fuel and will even die on me. I have the software and the only code it will throw is a low voltage but that's only when it finally spits and spudders for a few seconds and quits. Other than that it will not throw any error codes while it's running bad.
    All of the injectors click from the lap top. Fuel pump sounds normal. Killed each cylinder out on the muffs and you could audibly tell each time I did that. No holes in my fuel line. Hooked a clear hose to the primer bulb. No air and it will siphon from the tank through this line with no hesitation. I removed the fuel line from the water separator right off the lift pump and if I hold my hand over the line it seems to hold pressure. When I pump the bulb it seems to have a slight bit of air in it. After looking the part up it's a little more expensive to replace to just see.
    How could I trouble shoot this moving forward to check if it is the lift pump or I have another major issue. Once again it will idle fine. It's just when I give it some gas at the lake in the water. Runs fine on the trailer with muffs even when I rev the engine. I'm stumped and wondering if this is common or one of the new many issues I have had over the past years.

2. Member
    has the fuel supply hoses been upgraded to newer style hoses?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    No new hoses.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbroussard View Post
    No new hoses.

alcohol might have eaten up the inside of the old hoses??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If it's throwing a low voltage code, that's where I'd be looking....low voltage causes all kinds of havoc....

6. Member
    I have a 2000 200 FICHT that sat for years with 100.4 hours on it. Went all through it before even trying to start, lines, filters, pulled injectors & cleaned etc. all but bulb as it looked great pulled fuel thru it and I even pressured up against it backwards with a spare #56 Merc 280 pump because it just seemed like something wasn't right but it held pressure and at time I didn't have one locally available in a good one. Sounds exactly the same on muffs etc with computer hooked up as you describe yours. 1st chance to take out was the 4th July and did the same as yours, I never left launch area and had someone available to tow me in as it got where it wasn't even getting enough fuel to fire. I got home and sure enough it was the primer bulb. I pulled the one off my Ally and all is great with it now. So for $25 or so if any doubt swap it out and don't be surprised if it is that simple a fix. But I second the fuel lines as well if they are more the 5 yrs or so and depending quality of fuel you get. Good luck and let us know. I try and read any Ficht threads and learned ALOT here from everyone so this may help someone else when you find the problem.
    Current-
    '89 Allison XB2002 Comp/Pro Center Steer Maroon on Sandstone
    '98 ProMax 225 JSRE
    20" Mid- Jaco's Ally worked SportMaster 1.87 gears
    2001 Hurricane Sundeck 217 w/ 2000 200 FICHT
    Past-
    '96 Allison XB2003 PST White w/ Red Tips accent Stripe
    '89 GT175 w/Bob's Bigfoot LWP
    '97 Cobia 22BR 5.7 MercCrusier/ Bravo
    '85 STV Sprint --2.5 Ported Smiling Jacks Horn EFI system 10k+RPM
    '87 HydroStream V-King YT OMC 235 V6
    '77 Glastron CVX16-- Beaver Tyler built V4 Johnson
    Kona DayCrusier
    17' Contender

7. Member
    Put a new bulb on in the middle of it this past weekend. I'm going to bring it to the dealer this week and let them go over it all.

Put a new bulb on in the middle of it this past weekend. I'm going to bring it to the dealer this week and let them go over it all.
    Who in that area will work on a Ficht?
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I have the exact same motor and dealt with a similar issue. Mine was a blown main gas line that ran under the carbs in the motor. It was extremely hard to find because it looked perfect until you ran the motor at higher rpms. When this happened the line would spew fuel starving the motor.

10. Member
    Jasper Outboard. Just North of Jasper on 96 headed toward the lakes.

Jasper Outboard. Just North of Jasper on 96 headed toward the lakes.
    Yea I know them. Family has a place just outside of Pineland. I know some shops won't work on Ficht.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Dropped it off at the shop Thursday. They are backed up 4 weeks or so. Ran to my place at the lake to mow earlier and several neighbors were hauling boats home today. All of our boats stay at the lake unless something is wrong. 2 of them told me they are bringing them to the shop because they will not run. Both older carburated motors. Evinrude and a Mercury. Said they will idle fine but when they give it some power it runs rough and quits. Ran on muffs without any issues. The only common thing we do is the gas station closest to our camp. Doubt it will be as easy as bad fuel but sounds like that's the only thing it could be after talking with them today. That or someone that knows how to work on motors sabotaged us. I'll keep an eye out for a new mechanic in the neighborhood lol.