Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member jrodriguez_20807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roma texas
    Posts
    312

    Exclamation 2013 mercury pro xs 150

    When i bought my boat at bass pro shops they told that they needed to verify that i had done my break in properly so that the warranty can start covering is this true or not?
    2013 Nitro Z7 150 Mercury Pro XS

  2.  
  3. Papap
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    938
    #2
    The computer on the motor will tell them if it was done right or not.

  4. Member mpino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    713
    #3
    I believe there is a req'rmnt to bring in the motor to a mercury auth dealer after 10hrs to check the computer and make sure there is no issues, that's when they validate that the break in was done correctly and they document it in the system for warranty purposes. that's what I was told when I got my new motor.

  5. Member blazenlo95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,987
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mpino View Post
    I believe there is a req'rmnt to bring in the motor to a mercury auth dealer after 10hrs to check the computer and make sure there is no issues, that's when they validate that the break in was done correctly and they document it in the system for warranty purposes. that's what I was told when I got my new motor.
    I hope this isn't true! Not because i didn't follow procedure (my boat has not even been made yet)...but because my "dealer" is an absolutely clueless bunch and i'll surely be without it for weeks possibly months so they can check the computer.

  6. Member mpino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    713
    #5
    you can take it to any auth merc dealer, I'm just not sure if it was 10hrs or 20hrs inspection,
    I think it is the 20hr inspection and the 10hrs means the break in procedure is done.
    sorry I am just going based on my memory.

  7. Member jrodriguez_20807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roma texas
    Posts
    312
    #6
    Yeah they told me to take it in when i had 20 hrs on it and 10 hr the break in was complete
    2013 Nitro Z7 150 Mercury Pro XS

  8. Member Gambler Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Lenox, IL
    Posts
    8,798
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jrodriguez_20807 View Post
    When i bought my boat at bass pro shops they told that they needed to verify that i had done my break in properly so that the warranty can start covering is this true or not?
    You will have a warranty either way, there is really nothing to check at 10 hour service, as long as you are not getting any alarms. Read your maintenance manual!

  9. Member jrodriguez_20807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roma texas
    Posts
    312
    #8
    So far no alarms have sound i dont like to be driving at wot like ive seen boats in the lake
    2013 Nitro Z7 150 Mercury Pro XS

  10. Member Sarge82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    203
    #9
    WOW! When I bought mine back in June 2011 my dealer didn't tell me to bring mine back in. He just told me if I have any engine trouble or alarms sound off then to bring it in anytime this happens. He also told me if I don't have any issues with the engine bring it in once a season to put it on the computer. His words were the less you take the cowl off the less trouble you're going to have. I do maint. myself. I change the sparkplugs, fuel filter, airfilter, etc myself. I do it exactly by the manual and haven't had any issues at all. I have been told that if you do any of this yourself you invalidate the warranty as well. I would just rather do it myself and save money. Plus I have always did the basic maint. on my motors because I just like doing it. But other than the basics I definately take it to the dealer. Anyone else on here do their basic maint.?

  11. Member Gambler Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Lenox, IL
    Posts
    8,798
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge82 View Post
    WOW! When I bought mine back in June 2011 my dealer didn't tell me to bring mine back in. He just told me if I have any engine trouble or alarms sound off then to bring it in anytime this happens. He also told me if I don't have any issues with the engine bring it in once a season to put it on the computer. His words were the less you take the cowl off the less trouble you're going to have. I do maint. myself. I change the sparkplugs, fuel filter, airfilter, etc myself. I do it exactly by the manual and haven't had any issues at all. I have been told that if you do any of this yourself you invalidate the warranty as well. I would just rather do it myself and save money. Plus I have always did the basic maint. on my motors because I just like doing it. But other than the basics I definately take it to the dealer. Anyone else on here do their basic maint.?
    Just do the minor stuff myself. Things i consider that need to be done more than once per year, if you use your boat alot, filter changes, L.U. unit oil every 30-40 hours. I have also cleaned out the thermostats when they get stuck open from debris. If there is something i don't feel competent doing i don't even try. Bring the motor in once per year to get a maintenance record regardless if the motor is running great and have the Merc. dealer do the once per year maintenance.

    Don't forget to check you mounting bolts, i have seen it multiple times where they work there way loose on my boat and others.

  12. Member Sarge82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    203
    #11
    100% agree on the mounting bolts. Never had mine come loose but have seen it happen to another boater out on the lake! I'm like you Gambler when it comes to my comfort level. If I don't feel remotely comfortable then I leave it alone. I'd rather spend a little now than a whole lot later!