Thread: west boggs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    philpot, ky
    Posts
    50

    west boggs?

    gonna try boggs with some buddies tommorow, any help would be awesome!

  2.  
  3. Member crawdadking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    indianapolis, in
    Posts
    11,271
    #2
    We were there on the 11th. Tough fishing in the morning, cold and windy. Sun came out about noon and that's when most everybody caught fish. Had two 6 pounders and a few 4s & 5s. Mostly shallow, try cranks and plastics, usual stuff. Tube jigs have been good down there too. Good Luck

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    philpot, ky
    Posts
    50
    #3
    thinks for the advice. 5 fish weighted 20lbs. 3oz. had three 5 lbsers. all on worm and one on jig.

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sellersburg, IN
    Posts
    273
    #4
    what is the launch fee and do you need anything else like special permits for this lake? I've considered many times heading up there to fish this lake but would hate to come 2 hours and find out i have to hit the town hall for some special permit like required for a few other lakes, is it electric only?
    2010 Nitro Z-8, Merc 200 ProXS

  6. Member crawdadking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    indianapolis, in
    Posts
    11,271
    #5
    It's $15 to get in the park and launch. No permit needed just to fish but if you want to have a tourney you have to go to the draw in October for the following year. And they only allow one tourney a day.

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fishers Indiana
    Posts
    1,354
    #6
    35 mph speed limit also.

  8. Member GRR884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5,761
    #7
    Last year....she is getting drained this fall. No tournies between memorial day and labor. They will allow two tournies the same day depending on size.

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sellersburg, IN
    Posts
    273
    #8
    Thanks for the info guys, I may head up there next weekend, if so i will let you know how it turned out.
    2010 Nitro Z-8, Merc 200 ProXS

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3
    #9
    Just want to let everone know that (IF) Boggs gets drained it wont be until the fall of 2014. Per the park board the grant money has not even been accepted and they dont even know if it ever will be!! I know there are a lot of people taking the bass out because they think its going to be drained. Pass on the word that there is a real good chance that it will never get drained!!!!

  11. Member GRR884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5,761
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Knepp35 View Post
    Just want to let everone know that (IF) Boggs gets drained it wont be until the fall of 2014. Per the park board the grant money has not even been accepted and they dont even know if it ever will be!! I know there are a lot of people taking the bass out because they think its going to be drained. Pass on the word that there is a real good chance that it will never get drained!!!!
    That's interesting I had not heard that. I just emailed Mike Axson and curious what he'll say. They should tell the people if there are no plans. I've talked to several over there that have started to take them home to eat or stock private ponds. A summer of that will hurt the place.

  12. Member GRR884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5,761
    #11
    I just got an email back from Mike Axson, park director.


    The lake was never going to be drained this fall. The renovation plan is set for implementation in the fall of 2014. We'll pull the plug in September that year and unless the weather is unusual it should be full again in the spring.

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    philpot, ky
    Posts
    50
    #12
    whats the reasoning behind it? i've heard different stories. it is a shame to do it to a lake that is producing that many big fish for its size.

  14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    56,239
    #13
    Didn't they drain the lake several years ago?

    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

  15. Member GRR884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5,761
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Didn't they drain the lake several years ago?
    They drop it pretty low during the winter but it hasn't been "drained" since the 90's.

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    I just got an email back from Mike Axson, park director.


    The lake was never going to be drained this fall. The renovation plan is set for implementation in the fall of 2014. We'll pull the plug in September that year and unless the weather is unusual it should be full again in the spring.

    On multiple occasions we have been told by board members that the funds have not been received for the renovation! Maybe Mr Axsom needs to inform his board members on what's going on!! The whole idea of draining the lake is a joke! The panfishing has been amazing this spring and the bass numbers are back on the rise with lots of 8"-14" being caught!

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fishers Indiana
    Posts
    1,354
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Knepp35 View Post
    On multiple occasions we have been told by board members that the funds have not been received for the renovation! Maybe Mr Axsom needs to inform his board members on what's going on!! The whole idea of draining the lake is a joke! The panfishing has been amazing this spring and the bass numbers are back on the rise with lots of 8"-14" being caught!
    This is the man to listen to without question, and he is dead on. The lake might have had some recruitment issues according to those who want it drained and renovated but those of us who fish it often know better for sure. Mr. Axsom has his own agenda and its pretty transparent if you really look close at the situation. Why not manage the lake as the destination in Indiana for trophy bass and let Dogwood continue to be the panfish destination if that's what this is really about. Its about money plain and simple, and any biologist worth his salt that took the time to actually see what kind of fish this lake has been and is producing would reconsider such a drastic move to supposedly fix a lake with issues. I would urge all Indiana fishermen to send an email to the DNR voiving your concern about ruining such a great big bass lake, even if you don't fish it. If we stand by and just let certain people do what they think is right no matter what is rational this kind of thing will continue to happen all over this state. Shad aren't a problem, if they were then lakes like Geist, Morse and Waveland would be horrible and they just continue to get better even with high populations of shad. I have sent my emails and once again ask that other passionate bass fishermen do the same, we have a voice and its even louder when we all sing the same tune.

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fishers Indiana
    Posts
    1,354
    #17
    SAVE THE HOGS, DONT KILL BOGGS!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 05-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    127
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    This is the man to listen to without question, and he is dead on. The lake might have had some recruitment issues according to those who want it drained and renovated but those of us who fish it often know better for sure. Mr. Axsom has his own agenda and its pretty transparent if you really look close at the situation. Why not manage the lake as the destination in Indiana for trophy bass and let Dogwood continue to be the panfish destination if that's what this is really about. Its about money plain and simple, and any biologist worth his salt that took the time to actually see what kind of fish this lake has been and is producing would reconsider such a drastic move to supposedly fix a lake with issues. I would urge all Indiana fishermen to send an email to the DNR voiving your concern about ruining such a great big bass lake, even if you don't fish it. If we stand by and just let certain people do what they think is right no matter what is rational this kind of thing will continue to happen all over this state. Shad aren't a problem, if they were then lakes like Geist, Morse and Waveland would be horrible and they just continue to get better even with high populations of shad. I have sent my emails and once again ask that other passionate bass fishermen do the same, we have a voice and its even louder when we all sing the same tune.
    Sir, you don't sound like a Big Dummy to me, I think this country is in the shape it's in because too often we don't stand up and voice our opinions. In this case, though, I might be wrong, but does the DNR have any involvement with Boggs? I thought it was owned by the city or Daviess County. Of course, I did not know until tonight there was any mention of draining it and don't know why it's going to be done, so I am not up to speed on any of this.

  20. Member GRR884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Indiana
    Posts
    5,761
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn View Post
    In this case, though, I might be wrong, but does the DNR have any involvement with Boggs? I thought it was owned by the city or Daviess County.
    The DNR does and has managed the lake and also did the reclamation back in 1999. Here is information on the IDNR website.

    [DNR] Open house about West Boggs Lake fishing, Aug. 22 - 8/1/2012 - IN.GOV




    DNR: West Boggs Renovation

  21. Member cubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    First cornfield on the left, Wabash In
    Posts
    11,412
    #20
    Not the first time they've killed off shad in that lake, they have done it multiple times over the years. You end up with the largest population of fish being shad, then you get trophy bass, but low recruitment for every fish species. If it was full of carp no one would bat a eye at a renovation of the lake. Most of the time, they will remove as much gamefish as is possible, and hold them in ponds to put back in the lake after killing off as many shad as possible.

    What are people scared of with a draw down and shad kill? 3 years of fishing that isn't the same as this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast