Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va
    Posts
    3,204

    Champion Trailer weight?

    I am trying to figure out a good estimate for how much my whole package weighs to decide on what new tow vehicles I should look at. The boat dry weight was listed at 1650 pounds. Add in batteries probably 280 pounds. Add in tackle and other equipment say 400 pounds which is probably high but good for an estimate. Add in full 52 gallons of fuel, 325 pounds, add motor 530 pounds, Yamaha list it at 505 but figure adding oil and lower unit lube will add some. All of these bring me to 3185. Only weight I cannot find or guess at is the trailer. My boat is a 21sx, which is same hull as the 206 so guessing same trailer. Anyone have any idea what those trailers weigh?

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,446
    #2
    I would take it to a truck stop and weigh it on the scales.

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va
    Posts
    3,204
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_tx View Post
    I would take it to a truck stop and weigh it on the scales.
    Never done that, do they charge for that?

  5. Misplaced Yooper WaYoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Some island near La Conner, WA
    Posts
    3,166
    #4
    On my 181 trailer, trailer weight is listed on the info tag located inside the rail near the front. If I remember correctly, mine weighs 700+ pounds. Would think a dual axle 20' trailer would be 1000+ pounds.


    Mountain Home ChamP 181

  6. Lea
    Lea is online now
    Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Franklin, VA
    Posts
    42,480
    #5
    I was going to guesstimate 1000, also. I had read somewhere that a trailer for my 187 was approx 800, so went from there....

  7. Member Rick H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Cincinnati
    Posts
    269
    #6
    I tow my 206 with a V-6 4Runner 2008 rated at 5000lbs and it tows it great!

    I was in the towing industry for 15 years and we wanted the average load to be at most 2/3 the design capacity. Not saying we never went over that but we were always doing something different daily but that is what we shot for.

    Now personally I do the same with my personal vehicles and never have an issue and their is plenty of reserve capacity. What ever you do don't look at it as my boat motor and trailer weighs 3400 and my tow vehicle is rated at 3500 so I'm okay. Well yes you are okay but just okay and okay will not last. If you tow 2/3 capacity you'll never have a towing issue with a well maintained vehicle.

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va
    Posts
    3,204
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I tow my 206 with a V-6 4Runner 2008 rated at 5000lbs and it tows it great!

    I was in the towing industry for 15 years and we wanted the average load to be at most 2/3 the design capacity. Not saying we never went over that but we were always doing something different daily but that is what we shot for.

    Now personally I do the same with my personal vehicles and never have an issue and their is plenty of reserve capacity. What ever you do don't look at it as my boat motor and trailer weighs 3400 and my tow vehicle is rated at 3500 so I'm okay. Well yes you are okay but just okay and okay will not last. If you tow 2/3 capacity you'll never have a towing issue with a well maintained vehicle.
    Glad to hear the 4 runner and other similar sized vehicles will tow it. For me it would only be occasional as my Tahoe tows the boat most of the time. Just need a second tow vehicle as we just recently got a travel trailer so if we want to go somewhere where we would like to have both with us need two tow vehicles. The travel trailer is big enough that it needs the Tahoe to tow it comfortable. Weight wise a smaller vehicle would work but if we got caught in any sort of wind it would just be too much to control with a smaller lighter vehicle. Was worried my second tow vehicle was going to turn into another full size SUV and was not excited about the price tag on that.

  9. Member Rick H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Cincinnati
    Posts
    269
    #8
    I'm real happy with my 08 V-6 Runner. It's good for 23 on the road no trailer. But towing a loaded 14x7 tandem axle enclosed trailer through the smokies still managed to get 17.6 with the trailer driven right and I don't mean slow!

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va
    Posts
    3,204
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I'm real happy with my 08 V-6 Runner. It's good for 23 on the road no trailer. But towing a loaded 14x7 tandem axle enclosed trailer through the smokies still managed to get 17.6 with the trailer driven right and I don't mean slow!
    Yeah I wish the new ones had the v-8 as an option still.

  11. Old Scout Lpolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Orange Tx.
    Posts
    5,202
    #10
    Also when you start figuring your towing you also have to factor in your truck/SUV or whatever loaded with stuff also. I pull a 206 and pulling with a 5.3, when loaded with the boat in tow, It is pretty well close to all I want to put on the little 5.3. It dose fine but I think my max is 7000lbs. My 206 loaded 3700-3900 depending on fuel and gear. Add 3 people and supplies for the camp, add the rolling hills, the old cheby is loaded. Just saying.
    IBEW

  12. XL Member markheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,927
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Never done that, do they charge for that?
    Average arount $10

  13. Member Rick H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Cincinnati
    Posts
    269
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Yeah I wish the new ones had the v-8 as an option still.
    Yeah I thought the same thing in 05 when we got our first one (4Runner V-6) but with the electric valve timing it pulls hard. I don't miss a V-8 and the fuel mileage is much better. I don't care for some of the updates on the body of the new one but it's got the same running gear.

    I looked at them all and I don't think you can beat the 4Runner. I had all the domestic V-8's before and I don't miss them. Dodge (pretty good), Ford (good puller handled heavy loads best but likes the fuel) GM (To many problems 1 out of 5 was a good truck) Just the facts!

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    104
    #13
    I tow my 181 with an 06 V8 4 Runner with Borla exhaust, plenty of power to spare, and fantastic reliability to boot!



    1997 Champion 181
    Merc XR6 150

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Columbus Oh
    Posts
    1,435
    #14
    I'd guesstimate your trailer is around 800 to 900 pounds.

  16. Lea
    Lea is online now
    Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Franklin, VA
    Posts
    42,480
    #15
    Jeff...I have been looking thru the brochures. Earlier ones show definitely under-stated hull weights. From 1650-2200 thru the years. Weird, huh!!! Definitely do the truck scale weigh.