Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Lowrance/Garmin Sonar Moderator MarkNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canajoharie
    Posts
    20,074

    07 Duramax Rust! Fuel lines, brake lines

    Had my 07 Duramax in the shop to get inspection. Tech found fuel leaking. Fuel lines to cooler rusted, fuel cooler rusted, found rusted brake lines and fuel sender needed replaced. I bought this truck it had a 36mo bumper to bumper warranty which is expired but also it had a 10yr/100,000 mile power train warranty. They refused to fix it under warranty because they said it was due to rust/corrosion. The total bill was over $1,900.00 Am I getting hosed by this dealer possibly getting my money and also getting reimbursed under the warranty as well or is this the way this warranty works? I thought the government stepped in during the 90's and made auto manufacturers liable for premature rust issues? The thing that scares me is what is next? There has to be other stuff getting ready to rust through. The body is like the day it rolled out the assembly line so I don't understand the rust issues underneath. I guess I'm going to have to power wash up under the truck more often during the winter to get road salt off. I guess the new hardwood floor we were getting ready to put down is going to be put on hold. lol

  2.  
  3. Moderator enforcer410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jungle
    Posts
    19,331
    #2
    Look on GM's website for corrosion warranty, i know Ford has a 5 year. The powertrain doesn't cover those items and the price doesn't seem too crazy.

  4. Member pietco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    dry ridge KY
    Posts
    552
    #3
    Road salt is ruff on the under side of a vehicle, also parking on the dirt or grass will cause the lines to rust.
    when I had cars and trucks sitting in the grass, the fuel and brake line seem to rust prematurely.

  5. Richard Jennings timberland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    8,938
    #4
    The HD's have had a brake line rust issue since 2001. I have a 06' that I purchased new. Its immaculate on the top side and I do my best to keep the underside as clean....although I see where the brake lines attach to the frame have rust at the mounting points, especially the drivers side front. I keep a close watch on them for any signs of leaking. Kinda like the transmission cooler lines "seep" at the radiator...they all do it and GM claimed back when my truck was under warranty thats a "seep" not a leak, therefore they would not repair them. Today at 112,000miles the trans cooler lines are still seeping...just more noticeable to me. I have a hoist in my shop and I am always looking under our vehicles as much as I do the top sides. You wont have any luck getting GM to warranty the rusted lines and equal luck at the transmission fittings.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    Sevierville,TN - 2 bedroom custom log cabin for rent www.vrbo.com/288622


  6. Member Jeff Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alliance, Ohio
    Posts
    6,943
    #5
    I had an '03 Trailblazer that had the brake lines and transmission lines rust out and have to be replaced. Of all the vehicles I have had over the years, many of which were parked outside and all of which were exposed to road salt in the winter, this is the only vehicle that ever had these problems.
    Half the world's problems are caused by people not doing their jobs and the other half is caused by people minding someone else's business.

  7. Kevin Shearer Blazer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Ohio
    Posts
    6,534
    #6
    I'm betting your area uses salt brine in the winter??

    The use of this has greatly increased the rusting of fuel and brake lines.

  8. Lowrance/Garmin Sonar Moderator MarkNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canajoharie
    Posts
    20,074
    #7
    I'm pretty sure they use regular salt crystals for the roads here and I never park on grass, my driveway is blacktop. Its just disheartening two grand on a 6 year old truck and the prices of parts are unreal. You'd think they were gold plated. Thanks guys.

  9. Member yuggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamburg PA
    Posts
    163
    #8
    At our dealership we are replacing lines an average of two to three trucks a month.LMC trucks have a real nice pre bent set of stainlees steel lines for gmc and chevy trucks.Bleeding them on the other hand can be a pain ,first off, most of the time the bleeders are frozen in the calipers and you also have to bleed the ABS to get a solid pedal.

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Arkansas
    Posts
    1,182
    #9
    Those lines are steel and steel is going to rust. Did you look at the lines before they replaced them? Was the rust surface rust or pitted down into the lines? Surface rust only isn't going to hurt anything but if they have deep pits that a different thing. I doubt seriously that the rust was deep enough to cause a problem or you would have blown a brake line when you applied the brakes. I think they found someone they though they could get to and it worked for them. Ask question before you let them change anything.

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seaford (lower slower) Delaware
    Posts
    7,802
    #10
    Back in the olden days my Dad told me truckers would actually used spray oil under their trucks' chassis to keep rust at bay. Of course now that could never happen. You might think about hitting accessible lines and whatnot with WD-40 or such.

  12. Lowrance/Garmin Sonar Moderator MarkNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canajoharie
    Posts
    20,074
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend62 View Post
    Those lines are steel and steel is going to rust. Did you look at the lines before they replaced them? Was the rust surface rust or pitted down into the lines? Surface rust only isn't going to hurt anything but if they have deep pits that a different thing. I doubt seriously that the rust was deep enough to cause a problem or you would have blown a brake line when you applied the brakes. I think they found someone they though they could get to and it worked for them. Ask question before you let them change anything.
    I mentioned they were leaking so apparently rusted through. I need my truck. Can't take a chance on getting airlocked and stranded. Had to be fixed so I just bent over and took it like a man. lol

  13. Lowrance/Garmin Sonar Moderator MarkNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canajoharie
    Posts
    20,074
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Back in the olden days my Dad told me truckers would actually used spray oil under their trucks' chassis to keep rust at bay. Of course now that could never happen. You might think about hitting accessible lines and whatnot with WD-40 or such.
    Good idea

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Redwood, NY
    Posts
    1,041
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNY View Post
    Had my 07 Duramax in the shop to get inspection. Tech found fuel leaking. Fuel lines to cooler rusted, fuel cooler rusted, found rusted brake lines and fuel sender needed replaced. I bought this truck it had a 36mo bumper to bumper warranty which is expired but also it had a 10yr/100,000 mile power train warranty. They refused to fix it under warranty because they said it was due to rust/corrosion. The total bill was over $1,900.00 Am I getting hosed by this dealer possibly getting my money and also getting reimbursed under the warranty as well or is this the way this warranty works? I thought the government stepped in during the 90's and made auto manufacturers liable for premature rust issues? The thing that scares me is what is next? There has to be other stuff getting ready to rust through. The body is like the day it rolled out the assembly line so I don't understand the rust issues underneath. I guess I'm going to have to power wash up under the truck more often during the winter to get road salt off. I guess the new hardwood floor we were getting ready to put down is going to be put on hold. lol
    Just did all the brake lines on my 03 last summer....lost one, then another so I decided to do them all. Just bought an 07 Duramax, lines look rusty may just buy a case of beer and take a Saturday and do them before I HAVE to. Same deal with mine...body looks great, frame great but some components took a beating. Too damn much salt on the roads here, they are also starting to use a lot of brine on the roads too, even worse I think.

  15. Member haha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wayne, PA
    Posts
    2,851
    #14
    A friends '03 d-max brake lines rusted out from going up to Tug Hill sledding the last few winters. Replaced everything with stainless steel. He power washes his truck under and over every time he gets back from NY.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Marion, NY
    Posts
    386
    #15
    2001 2500HD. Been through all that, plus both side window cabling snapping, Allison transmission shitting itself, steering rod, both front wheel bearings, all radiators leaking, ABS crap has been bad since day one, a few u joints, rear calipers freezing up every 15k miles needing to be replaced, muffler, air conditioning compressor, crankshaft position sensor (nothing like a vehicle turning off and on while driving with no check engine light) all on a vehicle with 75000 miles. Price of new trucks are to ridiculous and the used stuff I will have to replace all the crap mentioned above. You need to find a good local mechanic, the stealership will suck you blind.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI