The Gambler has been a fun project. I had the chance to do some wet sanding and buffing of the gel coat to try to get it to come back to life as much as it can. It's pretty heavily checked, which isn't fixable without redoing the whole gel coat. At this point, not an option. I've also replaced both side bunks on the trailer as they had rotted off pretty much right after purchase. The gray carpet i used on them is what I am going to be putting on the boat, and I can't wait. She sleeps under the stars for now and a custom cover from Gambler is $600. [-X fortunately I found a Ratchet lok from cabelas in the bargain Cave for half price ($200) \:D/ . When it gets here, I'll go to work on the interior. Going to change the carpet to gray, go from gold to silver on the trim and get a new seat cover for the bench.... Eventually ($550... Ouch). Few weeks ago, I brought the outboard cowling back to life with a good buffing and a new decal set. To me, it has really made the look of the boat. I have a definite fondness for old school.
Things I will still need after the pretty 'fyin:
Trolling motor (hello Terrova with iPilot)
This is what most of the gel looked like at the time of purchase
From farther away, it wasn't too bad.
After wet sanding with 800,1000, and 1500. Then buffing with medium, fine then polishing.
Up close it's still checked badly, but it's as good as is gonna get. At some point, I may attempt to redo the gel coat, but we'll see.
Here's one of the finished side bunks on the fender and the carpet I'm going to be using on the boat. I really can't wait to see it on the boat.
That which I've already done:
Motor: Replaced starting battery, both voltage regulators, fuel line and starter solenoid. I have the oil injection block off kit ready to install. Need to change the impeller. Need a Trophy 25p prop to replace my 24p.
Trailer: 4 new tires, new sup r lube cover and caps, repacked all bearings, changed the rotted side bunks. Need to work on brakes, not sure they're even functional and got some surface rust behind both fenders to sand and paint. The rest of the bunks appear to be in pretty good shape. Have a funky ground that makes the lights go on and off on occasion.
Boat: wet sanded, buffed and polished the entire top cap, replaced steering wheel. Domed decal set. Cabelas ratchet lok cover on the way (yea bargain cave). Still need to install an automatic bilge pump, go from gold to silver on the trim and replace the carpet. Needs electronics, hydraulic steering and a new trolling motor.
It's been a pricey but definitely fun journey and today was the first day that I could say that is starting to come together. Once that carpet goes in, it's really going to pop.